About a month ago I went to a Christian bookstore and picked up the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I knew a friend had read it and enjoyed it so I took a chance and bought it. I think the Lord led me to buy that book that day because it has most definitely encouraged, convicted, and prepared me for what was about to come. The book is basically all about choosing to live fully right where God has you and looking for those dozens of little small gifts and blessings throughout the day.
A couple of days later I was growing frustrated with my job search. I wasn't finding any leads on counseling-related jobs and was tired of getting passed over for jobs I thought I was more than qualified for. I decided to look into preschools to at least get a job somewhere. I worked at a Christian preschool in Denver and really loved it. Instead of filling out applications online, I just decided to visit a few places that were close to where we lived. Well, I ended up getting offered a job at the very first place I stopped. I definitely didn't expect that, and I ended up accepting it because the director told me she understood that I was way overqualified and would understand that I would still be looking and interviewing for other jobs. That was music to my ears. The one thing I didn't want to do was get a job and then have to quit a month later because I found a better one. I was relieved that she understood my situation.
I started full-time a few days later and quickly realized the differences between a preschool and a daycare. I was now working at a daycare, which was worlds away from the preschool I had workout at in Denver. Had it not been for the book I was reading I would have come home everyday and complained until my husband would not listen any more. Instead, I tried my best to see this job as a gift and a blessing. There are plenty of people out there that would love to have any job, even this one. I had to constantly choose to swallow my pride and not think about the fact that I have a Master's degree and was getting paid very little to take care of LOTS of children.
Now I can't brag too much because there were definitely days when I came home tired and cranky and was not very pleasant company for my husband, who had just started a new job a few weeks before me. We've had several conversations about the adjustments we have had to make and things are much better now. I try to pray every morning that God would help me remember to see the blessings of this job. It is pretty hard to count your blessings when there are 14 or 15 out of control toddlers in your classroom, but I am getting better at it every day.
There are definitely days when I come home and wonder what in the world I am doing working at this place and why don't I just quit. Then I remember the book I am reading. I remember the faces of the children I work with. I remember that behind all their screaming and crying they are children of God that I get to love everyday. I don't really know why God has me at this place right now, but I trust in Him. I trust that His timing is much better than mine. I trust that He led me to get my Master's in Counseling and he has a plan for me to use that education in whatever way He sees fit.
I invite you to read this book and start seeing each moment as a blessing. Sometimes all we need is a little change of perspective.

What a great message, Stephanie! I love seeing God work in you in this way and I pray He gives you glimpses into the 'whys' of this job. Maybe someday you'll get to see the fruits of your obedience! Praying for God to continue to lead and guide you both.
ReplyDelete