Friday, December 3, 2010

Why Worry?

I am a planner, and along with that I can also sometimes be a worrier. I like to know what is coming. I like stability. Well, in seminary that is not always possible. I have been really anxious about next semester. I never like the beginning of a new semester because it means getting used to a whole new routine. Next semester in particular is going to be quite the balancing act. I am taking a full load of classes, starting an internship, continuing to work 2 jobs, and somehow making several trips back to Texas to do wedding stuff. The past few weeks I have really started to dread next semester. I have actually really enjoyed this semester. It hasn't turned out to be quite as busy as I thought. The thought of completely having to change around my schedule is not a fun idea for me.

In particular, I've been worried about starting my internship. I am nervous about if I will be good at it and be able to help the women and children I will be working with. I'm worried about being able to schedule in all my clients and the very likely possibility that I will have to see most of them in the evenings. All that to say, I really haven't been looking forward to my internship, mainly because of fear.

Well on this past Wednesday I met with my spiritual formation group for the last time this semester. Our leader had us all come up with words that we think describe each woman in the group and then share them with each other. I liked the idea but did not expect it to be as encouraging and meaningful as it turned out to  be. I was so touched by the words the other women in the group used to describe me. Most of them were words I've heard other people use to describe me before. These words reminded me of my calling and my God-given abilities that have equipped me for counseling. Sometimes I don't see these things about myself, so it is so encouraging to see that other people see them in me.

The words used to describe me were:
Tender-hearted
Free Spirited
Beautiful
Cool Runnings/Calm Waters
Encouraging
Caring/Receptive
Peaceful

Each of the women described why they chose the word or words they did. This meant so much to me. God knew that I was struggling with fear and a lack of confidence in myself and he used these beautiful women to speak truth to me. He reminded me that he has called me to this field and he will give me everything I need to help the people he places in my path.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and you minds in Christ Jesus." -Philippians 4:6-7

1 comment:

  1. This is such a sweet and thoughtful idea! And so encouraging. I would totally agree with these descriptions!

    ReplyDelete