Monday, September 26, 2011

My DIY weekend!

I spend this entire last weekend doing DIY projects I found on Pinterest! It was one of the most fun and relaxing weekends we've had in a while. I am toying with the idea of opening up an Etsy store with items like these. I'd appreciate any feedback any of you have about this. It probably would not be something I could do until next semester. Please leave a comment or email me at stephanie51586@gmail.com.

The first project I started with was fabric flowers! These are so much fun because you can get so creative with the fabric and colors you use.They can also be used for all different kinds of things!


I made 3 different kinds. The first tutorial can be found here. These are a little more time consuming because they take longer to cut out. You can get really creative with what fabrics you use. I used a combination of organza, tulle, cotton and felt. I found that the felt helped support the other layers if you put it on the bottom.



The next tutorial can be found here. These are great because there is no sewing required! All you need is fabric, scissors and hot glue. I burned myself a few times making these so be careful!


Here is the link to the last flower I made. These also required no sewing. These were probably the easiest to make!



I adapted all of these tutorials when it came to the back of the flower. I put both a pin and a hair clip on the back of all of my flowers so I could use them however I wanted. Here is a picture of how I did it.


This allows for a variety of uses! Here is just one example. I bought a foam wreath form and wrapped it with cream colored yarn. This is pretty easy to figure out, so I won't post any pictures. It is also a bit time consuming. I bought a wooden letter "A" for Adamson at Hobby Lobby and painted it. I then attached it with ribbon. This is how it looks:


This is where you can get creative! Attach any combination of flowers you like to your wreath. It can be used throughout all the seasons. Just change out the flowers you use! You might also have a to either re-paint the initial or buy a few so you can have different colors. Here is an example of a cute winter wreath!


As you can see, all of these flowers are simply clipped on using the hair clip attachment on the back of the flower.


The possibilites are endless with these flowers! You can also pin them to sweaters, scarves, purses, headbands and more!




I also made multiple a braided necklaces and headbands (pictured above) with old t-shirts! There are tons of tutorials out there on how to made a variety of scarves and necklaces with old t-shirts. I used a combination of the ones I found. Here is a necklace I made.



Here are the headbands.


Again, add any combination of flowers you like for a cute look!



My favorite thing I made all weekend was this scarf! It is pretty easy to make as long as you have a sewing machine and some basic sewing skills. I made this scarf for about $2.50. I have enough fabric to make 2 more. I am thinking about making them and trying to dye them other colors! Here is the tutorial!


I hope some of these projects inspire you to get creative. Again, I'd love feedback on whether any of you think these items could be good sellers on Etsy. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. This is so great! I think that wreath is so cute. And, loving the scarf. I think any craft well made like this would sell great on Etsy. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cracking me up! I pinned the EXACT SAME TUTORIALS on Friday night!!! I'm going to decorate some fabric bins with the rolled rosettes and make some Christmas "bows" with some of the fabric flowers. You did such a great job and I'm so inspired to try them out now ;)

    ReplyDelete