So before I tell you this story, I have to preface it. My husband works as a Pricing Coordinator at Lowes. That means that he gets there reallllly early in the morning and changes all the prices that need changing for the day. Lowes guarantees they will have the lowest price, so this means that prices there are constantly changing. I'm ok with that because it means Philip has a job. Another benefit to this job is that he is always the first one to know when something goes on clearance for really cheap. He occasionally brings home items he paid 5 cents for...random things like weather stripping and corded light switches. We may never use these things but I am ok with that because he only paid 5 cents for them. I would have probably bought them too.
Ok so back to the real story. Lets go back in time to when Philip and I were just dating. We dated for about 6 months before we were engaged. At this time I lived with a roommate who was also dating someone. She would occasionally get flowers from him. Well I always told myself when I was single that I wasn't going to be one of those girls who demanded flowers from her boyfriend/husband. Well, the more I witnessed my roommate getting flowers from her boyfriend, the more I started to wish I would get some from mine! I didn't say anything though because I didn't want to be that girl. Well last November came and went, and we were engaged! Still...no flowers. I guess I can't complain because he did get me a sparkly ring.
I finally decided to jokingly drop a hint about the flowers. I don't really remember what I said, but he got the hint. Instead of just going to a flower shop or to the grocery store he decided to order from 1-800-flowers. I did not know this at the time. For a few days he kept asking me if I had gotten any kind of packages or anything. No, I hadn't. Well, one day I finally came home to a box of flowers at my front door. Thrilled, I opened them up only to see that they were all dead. At the time we were in the middle of a 2 or 3 day freeze. Some of you may remember last year when it seemed like half the country shut down because it was so cold. Well, apparently the flowers were late because of this. Philip called and had them send some new ones for free. Again, they were dead. Well Philip called again and had more sent over. This time they were only half dead. Between the 3 boxes of flowers I managed to salvage about a half dozen. That was the only time Philip has ever gotten me flowers...until a few days ago.
I don't remember why I started hinting about flowers again. I think I either saw something on TV or knew someone who had just gotten flowers. Needless to say, I starting dropping hints again. I even told him I didn't expect fancy flowers. Just a $6.99 bouquet from the grocery store would make me happy. Well a few days ago when I got home Philip told me he had a surprise for me. It was out on the back porch. I went out there and found flowers! Except that they weren't exactly the kind of flowers I was expecting. He had bought me potted flowers. I am pretty sure they are mums. I tried my best to act like that was what I wanted. I couldn't help but laugh though because I wasn't sure if he was serious about thinking that is what I meant when I said flowers. Here is a picture of them. They actually are pretty, but I don't think whey will last much longer because it is about to get cold and stay cold here in Denver.
I thanked him and then decided it was cute of him to get me those kinds of flowers. Well a couple days later I started wondering where he got them. Then I realized he probably got them at the Lowes where he works. Then I realized he probably got them on sale or clearance. So today I asked him where he got them and how much they were. He got embarrassed and then tried to look all cute so I wouldn't get mad at him. After asking him about 6 time he finally told me he paid 23 cents for them. 23 CENTS!!! I could have gotten mad, but I just thought it was funny. My husband bought me 23 cent flowers. Maybe one day he will buy me a beautiful bouquet of roses, but until then I will make due with half dead flowers and potted plants.

That is hilarious! Definitely the thought that counts. It's a memory you'll always remember.
ReplyDelete