Today I was planning on writing a post about our one year anniversary, which is today. I felt the need to write about something else though. I'll write the anniversary post tomorrow.
Last night I had a hard time falling asleep. I couldn't figure out why. I read for about an hour which will usually put me right to sleep. I just laid there for a while tossing and turning. Then around 11:45 I distinctly felt the need to pray for my clients I see at my internship. I don't normally get the urge to pray for people that specifically, but for some reason God really laid them on my heart last night.
As I was praying, the song "How Long" by Al Gordon kept running through my head. I first heard this song a few months ago at church during worship. I had just started my internship and the song immediately brought me to tears. I thought about my clients and all the injustices they have suffered. I thought of all the people in this world that are hurting. I thought of my hurts.
Since I started my internship in January I have been challenged in my faith. The women I meet with have incredibly sad, painful, unbelievable stories. There have been nights when I have left my internship and cried all the way home. Despite their stories, they all have incredible faith in Jesus Christ. Sometimes I wonder whether or not I could endure what they have gone through and still believe in God. I know that sounds extreme, but their stories are extreme. God has used their faith to grow and challenge my faith. Sometimes I think I am getting more out of our counseling sessions than they are! One of my clients shared with me a Bible verse that has given her comfort in light of her situation.
Say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you. -Isaiah 35:4
She knows that justice is the Lord's (Romans 12:19)...
I have to constantly be reminded of that when I work with these women. While I can hope and pray that they will see justice here on the earth, I know that they may not see justice until the people that have done them wrong have to stand before the Lord on judgment day. Until then, I am here to listen to and honor these women's stories. As the Lord uses me to help them heal from their pain, he instills in me a heart of thankfulness and praise.
No comments:
Post a Comment