Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sometimes the answer has been there all along

I am a big reader. Growing up, I would stick my nose in a book and not come out of my room for hours. My personal favorites were Nancy Drew books...the old ones. I read myself to sleep with "The Mystery at the Moss Covered Mansion" while I was home for Christmas. Even at age 24, those books still hold some appeal to me.

At the beginning of this year I decided I wanted to find a good book on Proverbs 31. I wanted to study the Proverbs 31 woman in preparation for getting married. Well I was planning on going to the bookstore to check out their selection, but I just never managed to get around to it. One day I was looking on my bookshelf in my room trying to find a novel to read myself to sleep to. I've read most of the books on my bookshelf, but there are a few that I've never opened. On this particular day one caught my eye.  It was one I had never read. I pulled it off the shelf to take a closer look.

The title pretty much slapped my in the face because it is what I had been looking for all along. It was called "Beautiful in God's Eyes: The Treasures of the Proverbs 31 Woman." I knew I had this book, but I had never really paid much attention to the subtitle. This particular book has a great deal of sentimental value to me. Let me tell you why.

My freshman year in college I lived in the dorms and got assigned a potluck roommate named MaryBeth. We got along quite well and became good friends. I didn't have many friends that year and so I really appreciated MaryBeth. At that time I was really struggling with my body image. I confided in her about this several times. One day out of the blue, she gave me the very book I am writing this blog post about. I was so touched by her thoughtfulness, but I remember thinking the last thing I need is to read another book about how God thinks I am beautiful. I've heard all that before. I genuinely thanked her, but never read the book.

Fast forward three years. MaryBeth and I graduated college on the same day. While we only lived together our freshman year, we remained friends throughout college. A few days after graduation I received news that she had been in a terrible car accident. She was in the hospital for a few days. My brother and I made plans to go visit her, but she ended up passing away before we could go see her. You can read all about MaryBeth in my old blog here.

This time around when I picked this book up, I decided to read it. I've changed quite a bit since the time MaryBeth gave me this book. I no longer think I know everything there is to know about this subject...that is for sure! I am now about half-way through the book. It has been an incredible blessing to me so far. It is challenging me in new ways. Whether single, engaged, or married it is a great book to challenge you to mature in your character.

So...thanks MaryBeth. It took me 7 years, but I am finally reading the book you gave me.

1 comment:

  1. It never ceases to amaze me the greatness of God's provisions! I might want to look into this book too =)

    ReplyDelete