One of the hardest things for me to do as a counselor is just sit with someone in the midst of their pain. I can't take the pain away. I can't fix the situation. I can't make it better. All I can do is sit and listen while someone pours out their hurt and pain. I can be with them while they cry. I can listen to their questions of "why is this happening"....but I can't answer them. That is so hard. About 99% of the time just sitting and listening does not feel like even being close to enough. I want to make the pain go away. It tears me up inside to see someone crying over a situation in which they have been made powerless.
I question why God allows such atrocious things to happen to people. I sit and listen to horrible stories and I can't help but wonder why that has to happen. Of course I know all the sunday school answers, but I still ask why. At the end of the day all I can do is thank God that he IS good and that he WILL bring justice whether that is today or in 100 years. I don't know what people do without that. I don't know how other people can listen to this stuff and not have hope in God's redemption and restoration. Without that, what else is there?
No comments:
Post a Comment